AUS-L09 Auscision L-class #L1150 V/Line Tangerine/Grey "R.G. Wishart" HO scale DCC-Ready/Sound-Ready
L-class Co-Co Electric
#L1150 V/Line Tangerine/Grey "R.G. Wishart"
DCC-Ready (Requires 21-Pin DCC-Decoder)
Sound-Ready (Requires 20x40mm Speaker)
The Victorian Railways L class Co-Co mainline electric locomotive served on Australia's Victorian Railways and its successor V/Line from 1953 until 1987. Introduced in conjunction with the electrification of the Gippsland line, these locomotives hauled both passenger and freight services between Traralgon and Melbourne until the overhead electrification was decommissioned in favour of diesel-electric traction.
In terms of power, the L class outclassed most of the Victorian Railways fleet when introduced in 1953, surpassed only by steam locomotive H220 "Heavy Harry". The L class proved to be a fine locomotive for express passenger service where their high power output could be used to advantage. However, in heavy freight service they were somewhat less successful, as their relatively light weight and low factor of adhesion caused them to slip on heavy loads.Despite this shortcoming, they were regularly used to haul heavy briquette trains of over 1,000 tons from the Latrobe Valley to Melbourne. Four L class locomotives have survived into preservation and are based at Newport Railway Workshops:
#L1150 - Nameplates "R.G. Wishart" / Orange and Grey with small stripe / No Staff Exchanger
- Plastic (ABS) body
- Blackened metal disc wheels (RP25-110)
- Scale size metal knuckle couplers
- Separately applied metal parts
- 5 Different liveries available
- Metal and plastic handrails and brake piping
- Highly detailed bogies with separately applied parts
- Factory painted and decorated.
- 18" Recommended minimum radius
- Will operate on code 70, 83 and 100 rail
- 2 Different body versions tooled
- Detailed cab with driver figures
- Metal etched mirrors and windscreen wipers
- Operating LED headlights and marker lights with manual override switch
- 5-Pole skew wound motor with twin brass flywheels.
- All wheel drive and electrical pickup
- Separately applied air hoses
- DCC Ready with 21 pin socket
- Sound ready with speaker enclosures for ease of fitting sound
- Heavy diecast chassis
- Easy lift wireless body
- Sprung metal pantographs